Ilayda Hanci-Daydreamer Piece

by | Sep 27, 2016 | Artwork #1: Score, Projects

ARTWORK #1: SCORE, PROJECTS      

Ilayda Hanci, GAME 1850

Tuesday, 27 September 2016                               

Daydreamer-Final

1. Bring one piece of material to draw on and a drawing utensil
  2. Take 3 more people with you and, get into teams of 2
  3. Start walking around.
  4. Examine what’s around you and find an object to inspire from
  5. Create creatures, shapes, monsters
  6. Anything that is coming to your mind
  7. Fold the paper into two and draw
  8. Unfold the paper and create a story
  9. As the second team creates one starting with the word “Then”
  10. Gather up with your friend and read out the completed stories.

Artist statement

“To bring anything into your life, imagine that it’s already there.” – Richard Bach.

The final iteration of ‘Daydreamer’, gives the ability to look at any situation from a different point of view. I believe imagination makes it possible to experience a whole world inside the mind. In your imagination, you can travel anywhere without any obstacles. It can make you feel free, though temporarily, and only in the mind, from difficulties and unpleasant circumstances. It allows us to believe in possibilities that would not otherwise exist and it helps to connect us to a deeper part of ourselves. Something I’ve loved to do my whole life is to simply just imagine. Imagination can lead to amazing things. When you use it, you are no longer limited by external conditions. As you think about what would you like to experience, you can bring anything you want to your life. Imagination is your way to connect with Universe.  Since I was a kid, whenever I look up at the sky, I look for random shapes or faces in the clouds. This characteristic of me gotten even stronger when I grew up. Now, when I look to a branch, grass or to a leaf, I start to imagine and create different life forms like pixies, fairies, forest spirits or leprechauns. My imagination also changes according to my mood, when I am happy I imagine nice creatures, but when I am sad, I think about dark and dangerous monsters.

The inspiration for this score came to me when we went out outside to place a Happening in front of the Ryder Hall during the class time. For a part of the Happening we wrapped a piece of a nylon around a tree to make a straight line between two trees. As this is happening, when I looked at the leafs, suddenly, I imagined of a fairy sitting on the branch right above me.

I wanted to make a score that was easy to follow and play. I know not all individuals have artistic talents but I am encouraging them to simply just draw the things they see around them; a simple shape is enough too. The piece relates to a game we played on the first day of class where players write in turn on a sheet of paper, fold it to conceal part of the writing, and then pass it to the next player for a further contribution. This game is also very similar to Exquisite Corps in that it is a group effort, and a method by which a collection of words or images is collectively assembled. It is a bit different because half of the progression of the art is hidden from the artist as team mates create a story together while both teams can’t see the whole story.

A developed and strong imagination does not make you a daydreamer and impractical. On the contrary, it strengthens your creative abilities and is a great tool for recreating your world and life. I love imagining and creating things on my mind, and hope more people see the score and become inspired to imagine.

Documentation

Here are the instantiations of the score that I performed with my friends.

img_0829

img_0831

img_0841

img_3924-2 img_3931

img_0901