Artwork #2- Trash Hoops

by | Oct 22, 2016 | Artwork #2: Appropriate

Objective: To get the most points by scoring balls of used paper in the recycle bin.

Rules:

Scoring from the first floor stairs is 1 point. 2 points from the second floor, and 3 points from the 3rd floor. If a shot goes in the trash, its -1 point.

Each player gets 5 shots.

The players alternate turns between shots. The player with the most points by the end wins.

Artist Statement:

I had trouble coming up with ideas for a game using appropriated material. I wasn’t sure what to make, and what to transform. The idea came about when I was leaving class. I walked by and saw the trash cans, and the way they were set up reminded me of basketball hoops. This made me think of transforming people’s views on trash and recycling through a game. Learning about the Fluxus movement, and how they wanted to separate boundaries between life and art, my game is my attempt.
Inspiration for using the staircase came from 3 semesters ago. I got to witness Celia Pearce’s class drop mini beanie bags from the 2nd story rails while people with boxes on their heads ran along the first floor randomly trying to catch them. The use of heights, a staircase, used for connecting different levels of structure would be symbolic of my scoring system. I think my piece embodies more Fluxus than Dada since it available to the masses. Everyday people recycle paper and plastics, and throw away trash. Yet, people still remain ignorant to the fact that they have a part in hurting the environment whenever they throw recyclables in the trash. This way, by attempting to break the barrier of art and everyday life, people can educate themselves while having fun. This will give the player, the control of shaping the piece. That being what they choose to shoot in the recycling bin, or the trash can. This pulls more from Fluxus, since it is a process which is for creating rather having an end product, which is influenced by the ideologies of John Cage. The end product would be the outcome of the environment.

My first iteration of this, I hadn’t thought of the recycling bin. I had just seen the trash cans, and they looked perfect for the game I was going to make. After a  few playtests, I realized it had no meaning to me other than basketball with paper. I then saw the recycling bin, and thought that I could address the differences between the two of them, using my game. Since its more common for people throw away anything into the trash, I would make that a consequence. This way people would become more aware of recycling and their focus would adjust accordingly.

The Goals

The Goals

3rd floor

3rd floor

Winner

Winner