Indie/Art Game Show & Tell

by | Nov 15, 2016 | Show & Tell

NIGHT IN THE WOODS 

Lost Constellation

final game idea dumping

I do not want to create a digital game, I don’t think. Mostly because I’m not particularly confident in my coding abilities, nor do I enjoy coding.

I’m not yet sure how it’ll become a game, but after we were prompted to create a game/experience that explores an underrepresented emotion, I was struck with the idea of using pages out of my old middle school diaries. I know this would lend itself to an intensely personal game, & I’m okay with that. I’m also very attracted to the idea of personal artifacts– much like a readymade or a fluxus kit.

I’m considering some sort of emotion twister– consider Robert Plutchik’s theory of eight basic emotions:

• Fear → feeling afraid. Other words are terror (strong fear), shock, phobia
  • Anger → feeling angry. A stronger word for anger is rage.
  • Sadness → feeling sad. Other words are sorrow, grief (a stronger feeling, for example when someone has died) or depression (feeling sad for a long time). Some people think depression is a different emotion.
  • Joy → feeling happy. Other words are happiness, gladness.
  • Disgust → feeling something is wrong or dirty
  • Trust → a positive emotion; admiration is stronger; acceptance is weaker
  • Anticipation → in the sense of looking forward positively to something which is going to happen. Expectation is more neutral.
  • Surprise → how one feels when something unexpected happens

perhaps I could modify the game of Twister but also incorporate my diary entries–perhaps the player grabs a random page, reads it, decides what emotion is paramount on that page, & then does something based on that.