Appropriation of “Heads Up”

by | Oct 21, 2017 | Artwork #2: Appropriate

Guess

Materials:

1. Play cards with pictures of characters
  2. A dice

How to Play:

Aim: Be the first to guess who is on your card. The clues you give about each other’s character has to be valid and true, however, you can determine how much information you want to give away.

1. Shuffle the cards and have all players to pick a card without looking at it
  2. Roll the dice to see who goes first (highest number goes first in the clockwise direction)
  3. Roll the dice and pick an action

DICE ROLLS:

1. Skip my turn
  2. Pick someone to act out an action about your character
  3. Pick someone to make a sound about your character
  4. Pick someone to say a word about your character
  5. Ask a yes/no question to the group
  6. Skip someones turn OR choose options 2-5

Appropriation:

This game was appropriated from the game “Heads Up”. I felt that the game “Heads Up” was too one dimensional and needed more depth to the game. Whenever I saw the game played, the players were very awkward, which meant that there was not enough awkwardness or players were not drawn into the game enough. I appropriated the cards to have only pictures of people and characters like Pickle RickKevin Hart, and Kanye West. This game can be appropriated to accommodate for any types of personalities, accents and topics.

Authors Note:

I chose to create this game because I felt that the game “Heads Up” was way to boring and non-immersive. By adding the dice roll for different actions a new level of difficulty was added. When I play tested this game in class, everyone was enjoying the game. There were multiple comments on how dice roll number 3 was extremely hard.

The Dada movement was a cultivation of multiple cultures and ideas. Art was created by taking created art and distorting it, thereby creating new meanings and ideas. Bringing together popular personalities from movies, tv shows and celebrities was a representation of that idea. I was inspired by the Dada collage we did in class. Given pictures of art during the Dada movement we had to create a collage to represent the Paris Dada movement. Taking that same idea and applying it to the “Heads Up” game, I took a game and reinvented it with the question of how well people know the characters that build up their culture. Incorporating dice rolls into this game brought in a different popular game culture of random generated options and difficulties. The appropriation of adding portraits of popular personalities onto cards was another aspect of creating inspiration for the players to pull from.