2D Overwatch

by | Dec 7, 2023 | Artwork #4: Experience

2D Overwatch:

How to play:

This game is a simplified version of “Overwatch.” So the rules are also therefore straightforward.  It involves two players: Player A spawns on the left side of the scene, while Player B spawns on the right. Both players can shoot bullets at each other. When a player’s hp reaches 0, they need to wait to respawn.

The objective is the center of the map. Both players should try to capture the objective by just standing on it. The first player that reaches 100 points wins the game.

Artist’s statement:

Getting new players into “Overwatch” is hard because it’s tough to start playing. One of the reasons is that it is difficult to get started. Blizzard may have noticed this, maybe that is why they’re adding tutorials. The FPS part and the complicated maps make it hard for beginners.

Therefore, I came up with the idea of making an Overwatch without those elements which is a 2D version of it. Initially, my idea is to make it network-connected, so the players can control the direction of bullets with their mouse and I could add more players to the game in the future. But after trying to network in Unity for 3 days, I decided to give that feature up and redesign the entire game to make it can fit within one laptop. Also, because I’ve wasted so many days trying the network feature, at last, I

didn’t get enough time to implement the abilities to the game.

I was trying to set up the network.

But after several play tests, I would say the gameplay went better than I expected. Since there are no abilities, it is very easy for the players to get started and be good at it.

this was my first playtest

This project took some inspiration from “Pac-Manhattan”, the game that appropriates Pac-Man into the real world and make it easy to get into. Our game does the same for “Overwatch.” It’s more straightforward now. Also, In the Data Movement, artists made the audience see normal things differently, for example Duchamp’s “L.H.O.O.Q.”, our game makes “Overwatch” different and simpler, which changes the experience of gameplay.