Marshfield

by | Feb 1, 2016 | Artwork #1: Score

Marshfield

Instructions:

1. Leave House
  2. Find someone
  3. Ask them for an opinionated location
  4. Go there
  5. Find someone there
  6. Ask them for an opinionated location
  7. Go there and repeat the process 5 more times
  8. See where you end up at the end of the day

The Score:

Marshfield Score

Artist Statement:

Since the pitch on Monday, I’ve made one or two changes to the score; first I took a suggestion and decided to ask different questions as it seemed like I would just keep going back to the same spot over and over. Lastly, I initially planned to have someone help me, but with all my friends at their colleges or works and my parents away for the weekend, I had to perform alone. However, because I was alone, I got to get more invested in this piece than if I had someone talking to me all the while.

Some of these places I’ve known my entire life. I basically spent all my childhood on the beaches, to get to almost anywhere of interest you need to get through the center of town, and there isn’t a single person in town who hasn’t heard of Daniel Webster. Some I’ve known existed, but had never seen up close before; The sub tower sticks out over the Brant Rock skyline, but it’s not until you get up close to it that you realize how massive it is, and as far as I know, it’s the only WWII relic in town, and they’ve abandoned it to slowly disintegrate. Haddads is a fairly recent addition, so I was a bit surprised to find out someone already considers it the best place to eat. But after I finished, I stopped there for lunch and found out exactly why someone would think that. As you can imagine, the town is called “Marshfield” for a reason; there’s several scattered throughout the town. I had never really paid them any mind, but it wasn’t until I had actually stopped to look at one that you get the reason why we chose it as our name; they’re massive and a little beautiful to boot. The real unexpected stop on this score was the old railway path. This took the longest to find as I had no idea it existed until doing this. The person I asked really wasn’t kidding. There’s almost no sound from the outside world as the sounds of rustling trees and various animals providing the soundtrack for your walk. This really must be the most peaceful place in the whole town.

Overall I’d say I enjoyed this trip. I got to see my town in a new light for the first time in my entire life, and learned a few new things along the way. I never would have done this before if I just wanted something to do, but because of this score, I’ve sort of gained a new appreciation for my town.