Artwork #4 Experience Final Draft: You are wealthy

by | Dec 1, 2017 | Artwork #4: Experience

Artist Statement:
The Avant-garde Video Games book by Brian Schrank has showed us that artists use different strategies to accomplish their goals, and Brian Schrank points out that the core value of avant-garde game is the main idea and perspective. Throughout the course, I have learned a lot about the art of games. I have learned that game designing is not only focusing on the playing experience, but also it is a way for author to deliver messages. Therefore, I decide to create a board game that deliver my message. I find that modern people are following the mainstream of materialism and focus on money more than anything else. People do not realize what they have right now is considered wealthy. The message I want to express through the game is to appreciate with what we have right now and help people to understand that a healthy, well functioned body is our best wealth.
I have used the knowledge of Appropriation and the inspiration from Dada, which is using existing games for a different purpose in my creation. I used two existed games called Desktop Basketball and Finger Soccer as mini-games in my creation to emphasize the importance of our health. Also, I have used the readings of happening art and the Yoko Ono’s work in Grapefruit as a part of my creation inspiration. The idea of happening have led me to think about what we see in our normal life, so I thought about the materialism phenomenon in modern society which helped me to further develop my game.
Rules:
Preparation: 4 players and 1 dealer, Desktop Basketball, Finger Soccer, earplugs, and cards.
Goal: Make 1 million dollars ($1,000,000)
1. Rock, paper, scissors to decide who to start and the winner decides the turn will go clock-wise or counter clock-wise.
2. The first person will take an offer card from a shuffled deck given by the dealer.
Offer Cards include (Player will get the amount of money from the dealer):
  • $50,000 for your one of your arm. (Selling it will cause disadvantage in the mini-games later.)
  • $50,000 for your one of your leg. (Selling it will cause disadvantage in the mini-games later.)
  • 200,000 for your ears (You can not hear people after you sell it, and cover up your ears with earplugs.)
  • $200,000 for your mouth (You can not speak after you sell it.)
  • $800,000 for your eyes (Have to close your eyes after you take the deal.)

The player will choose to either take the deal or give up this round. Then, put the offer card back to the deck, shuffle it, move to next person, and repeat the process.

3. After all 4 players had their round to draw the offer card. Each  player will draw a mini-game card from the shuffled deck. Each player will choose to play the mini-game or give up the mini-game chance and move on to the next player.

Mini-Games cards include:

• Desktop Basketball with Dealer.
  • Desktop Basketball with Any player you choose. (The player that has been chosen cannot refuse to play)
  • Finger Soccer with Dealer.
  • Finger Soccer with Any player you choose. (The player that has been chosen cannot refuse to play)

If the player decide to play the mini-game, he will first bet any amount of money that he has. He will get double of the amount he bet if he wins the mini-game, and he will lose the amount of the bet if he lose.

Rules for Mini-Games:

• Desktop Basketball
    1. The player that makes first shot will win, start with the player that draws the mini-game card. If no one makes shot within their shot chances, then no one will receive money and move on to next player.
    2. If the player did not sell any of his arm, he will have 5 shots chance.
    3. If the player sold one of his arm, he will have 3 shots chance.
    4.  If the player sold both of his arm, he will have 1 shot chance.
  • Finger Soccer
    1. The player that makes first shot will win. If no one makes shot in 60 seconds, then no one will receive money and move on to next player.
    2. If the player did not sell any of his leg, he will have 2 fingers to play the Finger Soccer.
    3. If the player sold of his leg, he will have only 1 finger to play the Finger Soccer.
    4. If the player sold both of his leg, he cannot participate in the Finger Soccer.
  • For playing with dealer, dealer will give the amount of betting money to that player from the bank if the player wins, and player will give the betting money to the bank if the player loses.
  • For playing with another player, player 1 will give the betting amount of money to player 2 if player 2 wins the game, and player 2 will give the betting amount of money to player 1 if player 1 wins the game.

4. After all 4 players had their round to draw the Mini-game card, we will repeat the process 2 and 3. The game will stop whenever someone has 1 million dollars on his hand.