Follage

by | Oct 25, 2022 | Artwork #2: Appropriate

Game Rules:

Read the given prompt: Use the found objects in front of you to fill the ‘canvas’ in any way you see fit. (Hint: Keep in mind: color theory and principles of food combination)

Artist Statement: 

My game was inspired by the work of Kurt Schwitters, a Dada-era artist, who is best known for his Merz/collages. His collages are made of discarded objects from everyday life (e.g., wallpaper, newspaper, playing cards, and tickets), which calls attention to their meaning as they surrender their original function in a newfound and abstract form. His work also explores color theory, subject framing, and appropriation, which inspired me in the making of Follage.

So similar to Kurt, I wanted to call attention to the everyday fridge, pantry, and kitchen food items’ original function and have the player surrender it to a newfound and abstract form.

In forming the idea and rules of the game, I considered and explored multiple aspects and scenarios. For example, restricting the player to only solid foods or liquids and telling them the prompt versus having them read it on paper. I found the most productive results to be when the player used both solids and liquids and read the prompt to create more consistency. When playtesting the game in this format, Mabel, my roommate, chose primarily fresh materials and developed a canvas not knowing the meanings behind food combination or color theory. As seen in Exhibit 1, Mabel uses the idea of organic destruction in her “Volcano” piece.

This game puts the focus on the player and requires them to follow a simple prompt. In Exhibit 2, the players did not know the principles of food combination, so I chose not to include the definition, as I wanted them to explore the root of the prompt and/or explore what that meant to them. Player two created an interesting canvas representing a woman, reminding me of the infamous Parisian artist, Man Ray. Player 3 informed me she tried to explore color theory. In the end, players were given little direction, forced to think for themselves, and ended up creating beautiful food collages.

Exhibit/Player 1

Exhibit/Player 2

Exhibit/Player 3